Sunday, July 25, 2010

happy birthday to me!

For my 35th birthday last week I was honored with SO many well wishes and gifts... among them a new shirt, new shoes, several sweet cards in the mail (a couple with some happy little checks enclosed!), a generous REI gift certificate just in time for late summer camping, many, many great greetings on FaceBook (which prompted me to immediately deactivate my account - sorry guys!) and best of all a really nice day with my family and friends. But perhaps the greatest gift I received this week was one a loooooong time coming!

...

Ever since we bought the house in '02 I thought the back deck was too small to serve any real purpose. After several summers of dreaming and scheming to build a bigger, better back deck... I finally took the initiative and designed the deck I wanted!

...

so, here is the BEFORE picture (taken in '06 I think?)And eventhough the handrails on either side are not done, here is the mostly complete AFTER picture!!!This picture was taken last Saturday afternoon and we have since had at least four or five meals already outside! It is definitely serving its purpose.

...

What happened to that little, old, redwood deck you might ask?

Well, as this blog is supposed to be for reporting on the adventures of Hamp and Sam, I would be remiss if I didn't share with you their new space as well! Eventhough the whole week was an adventure for us all with the construction of the new deck, the boys were thrilled to see the old deck transformed into a new fort!I am very grateful for all the great friends we have that helped us build the deck and make my birthday wishes come true!!!




2 comments:

  1. It's been a long time coming, I know....but well worth the wait! Looking forward to sharing a glass or wine with you on your birthday deck;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's AMAZING! SO happy for you guys and your new hangout space! YAY! Can't wait to come see it in person! Love you! :)
    and

    ReplyDelete