Friday, March 15, 2013

Connection

cousins!
I took a quick trip (36 hours!) last week to honor the life of my great uncle, who did not die suddenly - he had been ill for more than a decade - but nonetheless left behind a sad family and a reputation of telling great jokes, playing great golf, loving life more than most and loving family above all else. I felt compelled to go, mostly to see cousins I love dearly and had not seen in 12 years. In fact I got to meet my cousin's youngest daughter for the first time - she's 10! Even as I struggled with the idea of buying airfare and being gone from home even for a couple of days, I just knew that I would feel better having gone and hugged my aunt, my cousins, their daughters and talking to friends about how great my uncle was!

my girls!

The silver lining of it all for me (besides getting to spend some QT with my own parents!!!) was the five or so hours before my departing flight when I spontaneously called a couple of my nearest & dearest girlfriends to meet for a long lunch! What a breath of life to visit with them and connect - we have known each other for almost 30 years but our friendships seem to transcend time whenever we are together.

So I just felt moved by my latest adventure to remember to appreciate my family and friends while I can. It's important to stay connected to those who knew you when, and to those who love you now - the first group grounds you and the second group lifts you up. What's great is when you find all the same people in both groups!



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sentiments;-D What a treat for Dado/I to have you all to ourselves!!! Thank you so much for coming....mj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you sweet Mand! And loved the spontaneity of our visit. Precious friend time that I thoroughly enjoyed! :)

    ReplyDelete