Friday, June 28, 2013

Baseball

We wrapped up another fantastic sport season last night - specifically the NW CO Rec League 8-10 baseball season! - and I hesitate to say that I'm glad it is over. 

Granted, no more long, hot uneventful games and no more out-of-town trips. But then also no more exciting plays being made when you least expect it and no mare car trips with several cute boys in their baseball uniforms singing pop tunes in the back seat! 

I think I will kind of miss it.... and I know Hamp will! He loved baseball this year (winning nearly every game helped!) and in the second-to-last game of the whole season he finally got his hit - a beautiful double! I have never felt so proud for him. And I know that he finally felt worthy of his team when he sent that ball sailing into the outfield! 

Consequently we had a perfect tournament week. We stayed in the winner's bracket and then managed a very exciting win last night for the championship! It was one of those feel good games that made the whole season worth it, where every kid really shined and played their very best. (I am not afraid to admit that I was even brought to tears when our sweetest & youngest kid on the team got his first hit! Oh what joy we all felt for him as he ran to first base!) Hamp made a perfect play at second base to get an out, and everyone was happy to go out on such a high note.


Highlights from the 6-week season:
perfect evening for a baseball game in Meeker!
Hamp played 2nd base...
... and 3rd base sometimes!
even with only 7 players - we pulled out a win!!!
the best part about out-of-town games:  the post game fun at Taco Bell!
CHAMPIONS!!!!!


Clearly, Hamp was happy about a good season and about playing ball.
Once awarded with their CHAMPIONS hat, Hamp declared he was never going to take it off...
... I guess he was serious, because this is how I found him this morning in my bed!

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting way to end a season!!! Congratulations, Hampa Bampa;-D We're so proud of you and your team!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!! Way to go JH! :)

    ReplyDelete