Saturday, February 11, 2017

Celebrating Hamp

We finally got a day to fulfill Hamp's birthday wish = a day at The Barn at Woodward in Copper Mountain. He had been talking about this indoor skate park and training center for months, but I still had no idea what to expect. Well wasn't I pleasantly surprised at just how awesome this place was indeed! I was also impressed with how excellently these four boys shredded the whole park!
(picked up a little lingo as the chaperone... shred = skate well)
 


Even better than the "shredding" was the fun that we all had that day - and everyday with Hamp in our lives. Now that he is officially a teenager, I try to respect his burgeoning maturity and allow him to be his true self. It's an incredibly blurry and wild space for us both - him as a 13-year old boy and me as his mother! But we are figuring out how to grow together and I am learning to love our relationship. He is still not much of a talker (definitely doesn't take after his father on that one!) but when he does I try to really listen. He still loves sports and skiing and friends and being outside - but as his time with Playmobil and Legos wanes, I find his time spent on the Xbox or on Instagram or Youtube fills the void. He has become particularly adept at binge-watching on Netflix! But when he's not 'on a screen' he is still funny and clever and sweet. And a little silly:

1 comment:

  1. I have always wondered about skate parks and LOVE seeing that the boys can use their scooters there. That is really cool. Thanks for venturing there and living to tell and posting video, too! Good luck in these teenage years. I can't believe how old 10 is at this point.

    ReplyDelete