Friday, January 25, 2019

Womens March

Last Saturday, I marched.

I did not go to the march with feelings of great resolve or engagement, or a need to be heard (or with anything to even say!)

I did go to support my friend, who simply wanted to be a part of history and exercise her right to free speech and assembly.

Leading up to the event, I was often asked "Why are you marching?"

I was surprised that there were women my age who didn't see the point in making any public demonstration for equality and civil rights - they didn't have any personal experience being discriminated against so for them it was an unnecessary display.
I was also surprised at my own hesitation to feel inspired to rally.
But when some of the kids asked me incredulously why I would need to demonstrate, going so far as to add "Don't you already have equal rights?".... I realized how to reply:

I am marching to make sure equality is never taken for granted.

While the event was an interesting and positive experience, I question its effectiveness in creating real change. Perhaps it simply served as a catalyst for some people to be more conscientious in how they treat others. Perhaps it encouraged some people to vote, or campaign, or research, or help. Mostly I think it served as a visual for the community to see that there are many people who support inclusivity and empowerment not only for women, but for everyone.

And after some days' reflection, it is actually pretty satisfying to know that I have been a part of something bigger than myself.

1 comment: