Friday, February 28, 2014

What gives, Phil?!

So... I'm starting to think that Groundhog Day is a big wive's tale!

Supposedly, Punxsutawney Phil called for 6 more weeks of winter back on February 2nd.

But apparently Meeker did not get that memo, because somewhere around mid February, spring showed up - and left all our winter gear waiting woefully on the front porch for a little snow action:

Now don't get me wrong - we did have some really fabulous ski days in January!!!

And the snow-shoeing has been great, too!

Gabe & I took a nice hike with our friends in January on a gorgeous winter day:



And then mid-February, I finally drug Hamp & Sam (and their dad!) up to the trail to hike, too!

I had envisioned one of those Hallmark family moments, where the kids and the dog are joyfully playing in the snow and happily hiking in front of mom & dad as we walk hand-in-hand along the trail...

Silly me.
Should have known it was going be a bit of a trial!
Hamp alternated between whining and complaining - I think he even said "I hate this hike!" - but yet managed to keep a good pace.
Sam, on the other hand decided to pout about being forced to enjoy the great outdoors and stayed a significant (but always in view!) distance behind.

Our other boy thoroughly enjoyed himself, though.
Especially when he found a little treat hiding in the woods:

Once we made the 2 mile trek into the forest where we found our destination - a yurt! - the boys warmed up to the idea and thought snacking in the yurt in the middle of the woods with the family and the dog wasn't such a bad idea after all!


So the hike back to the car was much more pleasant... in fact, I think Hamp even said, "I love this hike!"

I'm just a little disappointed that the weather hasn't been any better (aka snowy and cold!) since then to allow us more opportunities to play in the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment