Saturday, January 9, 2021

alma mater

When you're in the panhandle of Florida already... there's no reason NOT to swing by Tallahassee on Christmas Eve Eve and take a little self-guided tour based on 20+ year old memories of my old collegiate stomping grounds!
When we pulled up to campus I told the boys there were really only 4 sites I was forcing them to visit - anything else on campus would be up to them.

1) Doak Campbell Stadium 
When I was at FSU the Seminoles were dominating college football - winning a National Championship in '93 to kick off my college experience! So I spent a lot of weekends in the fall celebrating in Doak Campbell and succumbing to all the school traditions. However, the stadium as it is now is not where I did the war chant... so of course I had to see (and show off!) the new & improved version. We were not disappointed.... well, only that we couldn't go inside and see the 50-yard line!

2) Landis Hall - my freshmen dorm!

3) the Chi Omega house
This led to a litany of questions from all 3 boys about what a sorority is and why I was in one!

4) Westcott Fountain
Our final stop was somewhat anti-climactic to the boys (who were just anxious to get to dinner!) but sentimental to me as the last time I was there I looked like this:

We ended the tour with a swing through Bill's Bookstore for a little Garnet & Gold swag. And while I may not have been the best guide (what with my waxing nostalgic about stuff they didn't understand!) the gorgeous campus sure did it's job of enticing a few future Seminoles!

No comments:

Post a Comment